We are a group of students from Business Academy Aarhus. We have been given an assignment that requires us to design and program a data visualization from the given theme "weather and climate." The purpose of the visualization is to find meaningful patterns in the data and communicate these to the target group.
Our topic is the Bitcoin Network and the Global Banking Sector.
Cryptocurrency is digital money. This means that there is no physical currency or bill - everything is online. One can buy cryptocurrency with a credit card or in some cases get it through a process called "mining". Cryptocurrency is stored in a digital wallet, either online, on one's computer or on other hardware. Since 2010, cryptocurrency has had tremendous growth and many, especially young people, have had great interest in the field. But without thought and care, we do not consider the impact this technology has on the environment when we make a transaction or mine.
Therefore, we will investigate whether:
- Is cryptocurrency the future if you look at energy consumption and the impact on the environment in relation to other forms of payment / transfer?
- What would the environmental impact of cryptocurrency energy consumption look like if energy sources other than coal burning were used?
- Cost / benefits between freedom and environmental impact.
- What does bitcoins cost in energy from coal and wind energy, respectively?
- How many wind turbines are needed to cover the Bitcoin Network's energy needs?
This has resultet in a visualization with the purpose of informing the user.
We do not want to make any desicions about what is right or wrong.
We simply want to spread out information to make it easier for the user to make an opinion about the subject.
240.000 wind turbines
39% renewable energy sources
Danske Bank net profit
280.000 wind turbines
28% renewable energy sources
Line Krogshave Jørgensen
Martin Mintai Pham
Oliver Fedders Saaugaard
Victor Alexander Pascale
Bachelor in IT architecture
First semester, spring 2021
Business Academy Aarhus, DK