The Bitcoin Network and
the Global Banking Sector Compared in an Environmental Perspective

₿itcoin

Renewable energy sources 39% 100,000,000 people 240,000 wind turbines 120 TWh The remaining 61% of the energy consumption in the Bitcoin Network comes from fossil energy sources. 39% of the Bitcoin Network is powered by renewable energy. 100,000,000 people That’s the number of people using the Bitcoin Network. 400,000 daily users. 100,000,000 investors worldwide. 200,000,000 Bitcoin wallets exist. 120 TWh That’s the annual energy consumption used to keep the Bitcoin Network running. That amount of electricity could power all tea kettles used to boil water in the United Kingdom for 28 years. 240,000 wind turbines That’s the number of wind turbines it would require to have the Bitcoin Network powered exclusively by wind power for a year. Calculated by the average annual electricity production for one 2W wind turbine.

Bank


Renewable energy sources 28% 5,320,000,000 people 280,000 wind turbines 140 TWh The remaining 72% of the energy consumption in the Global Banking Sector comes from fossil energy sources. 28% of the Global Banking Sector is powered by renewable energy. 5,320,000,000 people That’s the number of people using the Global Banking Sector worldwide. The number is based on the fact that the world population is 7,6 billion people and around 70% of the world population are adults. 140 TWh That’s the annual energy consumption used to keep the Global Banking Sector running. That amount of electricity could power 560,000,000 Tesla model S cars by the supercharge function. 280.000 wind turbines That’s the number of wind turbines it would require to have the Global Banking Sector powered exclusively by wind power for a year. Calculated by the average annual electricity production for one 2W wind turbine.
´